[pct-l] Blisters and more.

David Ellzey david at xpletive.com
Fri Dec 11 03:28:13 CST 2009

Sean,

My wife (GoGo) is the queen of blister prevention/management. I personally do not have near the feet problems in that she has in general but I learn a lot through proxy. Here is what we do:

(1) Keep you feet as dry and clean as possible. Always be changing and cleaning socks, especially in the desert. She had 3 pair total, fresh socks each morning and switched at lunch each day. This means washing any dirty socks as the opportunity presented itself or sometimes you make it happen. The same goes for feet, in the desert they get washed at every sock change.

(2) There is a powder called BlisterSheild, it feels like a incredibly fine powder lubricant. If your feet do get wet it will resume its original state once it dries. I only use this in the desert but it does work great.

(3) Engo blister prevention pads are little Teflon-like adhesive patches you put in your shoes at hotspot areas. I always put some in my brand new shoes and they last for most of the life of the shoe. Which is good because they are expensive.

(4) In the desert section wake early enough to be on the trail by 5am or even earlier. Hiking in the cool mornings will do wonders for your feet compared to the hottest part of the day. Take the extra miles you put on in the cool mornings and find a good place to nap through the 2-4pm heat then resume your hike into the evening as it cools off.

(5) Hike with your shoes as loose as you can comfortable hike with them. I'm not talking floppy but some movement around your foot is good, many people try to bind the shoes on tight to avoid friction but in reality they are causing it.

(6) Sleep with your feet elevated, use your pack or whatever but use the night to get your swelling down.

(7) Reduce your weight as much as you are comfortable doing so. It's all about the pounding your feet take so lighten your load, that includes body weight.

(8) Allow yourself time to condition those feet. If heard more than once that the best training for thruhiking is thruhiking. Leave Campo with a more relaxed attitude putting in 60% to 75% of your normal miles until your are sure that your feet and other assorted body parts are ready to do 100% day after day after day etc...

BigToe