[pct-l] Post Fire Recons

Paul Cronshaw beemancron at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 10 20:00:17 CST 2009

When the Zaca Fire burned 3/4 of our favorite Los Padres Forest in 2007, the forest was closed for a year. As a Wilderness Volunteer Rangers (VWR) I formed a special group of LW hikers, dubbed the "Litehikers".  We were given permission to hike many of the trails in the burn area, take photos and document trail conditions.  With the information we sent to the respective USFS districts, rehab money was obtained and many preservation projects were completed.

I hope there are others out there who, with the proper permission, will volunteer to do recons so rehab projects can take place in a timely manner.  These recons are VERY important for the USFS and other organizations (eg PCTA).  Supporting the PCTA with donations and dues is important: to help PCT volunteers restore the PCT through the fire damaged areas.

My recon trips can be viewed at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/beemancron

Hope these upcoming rains stay gentle to help mother nature continue plant succession and minimize erosion.

The Beeman
VWR Santa Barbara Ranger District