[pct-l] No stove

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Dec 10 15:39:13 CST 2009

Good afternoon, Bastian,

Soaking instead of cooking is a pretty good compromise in many situations.  I
know several people who pour a sack of dry stuff into a re-hydration
container and enjoy a fine meal an hour or so later.

My first try at such was notably unsuccessful:  I somehow believed that
soaking would be the same as cooking except it would take longer and the
results would be warm instead of hot.  Once on Trail-600 hike around Mt.
Hood I put a whole box of Macaroni in a Ziploc to soak for an hour,
intending to add the cheese stuff to the soft pasta just before I wanted to
eat.  When I opened the sack in anticipation dinner I found a big,
semi-soft, amorphous mass of pale-white, gelatinous crud that resembled what
med students practice upon.

I strongly recommend starting with recipes from someone who knows what they
are doing.

Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09