[pct-l] No stove

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 10 13:36:12 CST 2009

>>If you're prepared to go 'cold', never cook, think how much easier this
>>would be. Fuel, stoves and pots, sporks and the extra weight all go away. In
>>the end, it's a trade off.

For longer hikes (and sometimes even short, solo ones), it is what I do now.

I usually only did one hot meal a day on thru-hikes. So, to switch to no stove was not a
huge leap.

Many of the off-the-shelf backpacker food (Cous Cous, hummus, Ramen, mashed potatoes and others)
work quite well with some hydrating. Rehydrate and eat out of a zip lock or a
"disposable" tupperware-type container for a 1oz penalty.

Never mind the weight savings. No futzing, resupply is a breeze, no fuel worries.

It is not for everyone, but it is an option that may work well for some people (esp. in warm or
hot weather).

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art