[pct-l] Stove canisters

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Dec 9 14:03:00 CST 2009

On Dec 9, 2009, at 11:25 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
>> In the west where fire season is 365 days, alocohol stoves are a
>> trend that
>> need to just go away.
>
> For another opinion, I wasn't aware of alcohol stoves causing any wild
> fires on the PCT, that doesn't make sense, unless someone had some
> bizarro design that spewed flames.

I'll admit that I started about 4 fires with my alcohol stoves. I put
them all out, however. Always cook with a full bottle of water at the
ready. Sometimes even dirt will start on fire, especially is you are
like me and are used to living in the arid west where dirt really is
dirt and not just ground up wood.

You can start a fire with any stove. Knock over a canister stove,
have the flames go too high using a wood stove, have your gram
biscuit esbit stove get blown away in the wind. Cooking is a hazard.

Anybody know if you can make your own esbit-style tablets? If you
could make your own, I'd go back to esbit.