[pct-l] Burying vs Packing Out TP

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Tue Dec 8 14:15:23 CST 2009

On Dec 8, 2009, at 2:37 PM, Sean Nordeen wrote:

> On another forum, some of us got into an arguement over burying your TP verses packing it out on the PCT.  My own experience was that many packed it out (and some don't use TP at all).  But some of the others claimed that they know of no one who didn't bury theirs while hiking the PCT (obviously we hiked with different kinds of people and didn't hike with each other).
> However, I know that in some places on the trail, it is illegal to bury your TP.

I packed out but my impression was that I was in the minority.  I can't say that I made it a topic of discussion though so maybe most people were packing it out.

I don't think I've ever heard that burying TP was prohibited except in some areas where burying *waste* is also prohibited. I believe you are required to pack out your waste in the Whitney Zone for example.

Gary Wright (Radar)