[pct-l] dogs/pets

David Ellzey david at xpletive.com
Mon Dec 7 00:59:07 CST 2009

Hey Cruz,

What rescue organization do you belong too? I have yet to see an ACD on a rescue team even though I hear of them being on wilderness rescue efforts all the time.

This is probably a good time for me to advocate my strong opinion on keeping the dog on a lead. While on trail, my dog is always on lead with the single exception of deep/fast stream crossings where it would be dangerous for him and myself. I adamantly feel this is important for several reasons:

1. The 6' lead is the law in National Forests, designated wildernesses and state parks where the vast majority of the PCT lies.
2. Hikers should always have the right of way on trails and in no way should my dog impede or take away from their experience. Not everyone wants to interact with your dog, respect that.
3. Even the best trained dog is just that, a trained animal. Never rely on past experience as a guarantee that your dog will not react negatively to another person. The right of the person overrides any rights you may believe your dog has, which I contend are close to zero.
4. Loose dogs chase animals, period. Recalling your dog from a chase still means that a chase took place. Yes, dogs can be taught to not chase animals that it encounters frequently but there will always be something unexpected at some point.
5. A dog not on a lead is a dog far more likely to have a bad rattlesnake encounter.
6. As we all know, long distant hiking is about calories. A dog off lead is burning a lot more calories and a dog should never go calorie deficient like we do. On our hikes, my 60lb dog consistently eats more calories per day than I do.
7. If the dog is off lead, how do you know where they crap? You are responsible for burying your animals waste just as would your own.

I have built a set of leads out of 3mm climber cord that connect to 4 points of my Osprey Atmos' internal frame. I use an ultra-light climber carabineer to clip a 6' lead to top the dog's harness. This keeps him from ever pulling against my kidneys, which can happen if he were connected to my hip belt while giving me a hands free lead.

Cruz, I understand in your case, the rescue dog has to operate off lead to perform his task. I am venting here because of all the off-lead dogs we run across while hiking that endanger other hikers, the environment and the dogs themselves.

BigToe