[pct-l] Cooking within...

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Sun Dec 6 21:23:17 CST 2009

For all of our summer, winter, and international backpacking, we have always cooked inside our double-walled tents (even when I was using a plastic tube tent from Ca. to Canada), unless the weather and sunrise/sunset were ideal, of course.

To us, the benefits are clear and multi-fold. When the body is tired, to get out of the wind and cold and have a hot meal, is relaxing, medicinal, and fun. When the bugs are thick as rain and you have to run to get away from them while setting up your tent, to dive in and close the door brings peace at the end of the day's battles. When the weather turns damp, drizzly, or torrential, it is so comforting to know that you can find total shelter and warmth within the simple confines of a well designed and constructed tent. For us, this peace and comfort brings sound sleep, knowing that the world outside can rage and we'll be just fine, the candle glowing, stove cooking, body restoring, and our dreams looking ahead to the glories of tomorrow.

Now, first, let me paint the realistic, daily picture of the conditions when and why we choose to cook...

***

To read the rest, go to http://postholer.com/SnowTravel, "Concern 4"

Mtnned
Mountain Education