[pct-l] CA section F in March/April?

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Sun Dec 6 12:21:35 CST 2009

Jean,

March is quite variable, and winter temps and snow can still be expected,
especially at the higher elevations in the section profile. Winds are
perhaps the biggest factor in that area, and late winter/early spring is
often when we see the highest amount of precipitation in the desert.

I am unaware if Mary Barcik and her husband stock the caches that early, but
I don't think they put out the large caches until it becomes thru-hiker
season.  You might have better luck with natural sources this early,
however.

Because March is so variable, you might also get a stretch of fair weather,
too. Some years, the flowers begin to bloom on the desert floor in March.
I'm reminded of the old saying, "If you don't like the weather, wait five
minutes."

L-Rod