[pct-l] Sleeping with food everywhere except the Sierra???

Brett Cosner brettcosner at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 6 12:10:41 CST 2009

Ok so I'm sure food storage topics are discussed often, but I wanted to hear an informal poll on the following.

I'm getting the impression that most thru-hikers sleep with their food without incident.  When in the Sierra they do this at stealth camps.

On my sobo hike this summer I'm thinking of keeping my food with me at night until I reach Sonora Pass where I will be picking up a canister.   I'll use the canister through Kennedy Meadows to appease rangers and be responsible.

How did you store food?  Did anyone experience a bear taking food that they slept with, or getting a ticket for not carrying a canister?  How was your experience???

Thanks
Brett