[pct-l] jet boil or to boil water

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Dec 6 09:15:11 CST 2009

I tried putting the noodles in cold water, but they always stuck to
the pot. I would put them in the water just before it boiled instead.

Then I would leave the pot on the stove until the alcohol burned
away. To finish cooking, I'd wrap the pot in my warm socks and hat. I
sometimes would put the pot in a large zip-loc and then wrap it in my
socks and hat, put it in my pack and hike on for a couple of hours.
Then I could enjoy a warm, perfectly-cooked dinner in my tent. Don't
do this with soup.

P.S. Orzo was a great pasta item. Looks like rice. Takes as long as
spaghetti, but is more compact. I made my own recipes so I could vary
the kinds of noodles.