[pct-l] jet boil or to boil water

Postholer public at postholer.com
Sun Dec 6 00:09:29 CST 2009

When rehydrating food we tend to boil water, then drop in the noodles,
macaroni, whatever.

Right? I mean that's the way we do it at home? :)

Try this. Put your water in the pot, drop the noodles in the cold water, put
it over the stove. You *must* use a lid and well fitting wind screen. This
is a tried and true method used by many 'a thru-hiker. This will cook ~1
quart pot (1 pkg liptons noodle & sauce, box of mac &cheese or 2 pkgs of
ramen) in about 10 minutes, using 1 esbit tab or shot of alcohol.

Another tip is to short the amount of water you use. If you need 2 cups, use
1 3/4.

A 'perfect' wind screen can be made from 3 or 4 folds of heavy duty aluminum
foil and it weighs almost nothing.

-postholer
Trail Journals, Google Trail Maps, Forums: http://postholer.com
Pacific Crest Trail Photo Atlas: http://postholer.com/photoAtlas.php