[pct-l] jet boil

Stephen Adams reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 5 22:54:04 CST 2009

I made a beer can stove last year and quickly determined I'd have to change my cooking habits and menu considerably and re-think my food in order to use it.  but what  a weight savings.  On  the other hand I didn't determine it to be weight saving or economical fuel wise.  They can also be dangerous as I proved with my first stove I made, which popped and spit burning alcohol all over the place giving me a quick thrill.  I lit it a few times and cooked a few things and determined since I wasn't making a long trek and opted for my shorter rambles and photo trips I decided to go safe and sane with my canisters even though I have the can stove pretty well figured out.  I may try a wood stove next season but wouldn't use that in a high fire danger area either.
My can stove could boil enough water for a nice mug of coffee, or an instant meal like coos coos, or mash potatoes, ramen etc,  but I didn't find it efficient, especially for pastas and stuff that require a bit more boiling even if you let it stand for awhile in the pot.  I did not employ one of these pot insulators I've read about.  That would probably help quite a bit in extending fuel mileage.
I met a kid recently using a Jet Boil and what a contraption.  Seemed heavy for one kid to carry, but he seemed to have it figured out and had his water heated up pretty quick.  No messing around with a suplimental wind screen or stacking rocks and such.