[pct-l] CA/OR

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Fri Dec 4 14:25:30 CST 2009

My experience in Oregon was the opposite for the most part.  No one bothered me because I was from Los Angeles and everyone was very friendly towards me; including the postal workers.  My only Oregon complaint was about the faux hippy town of Ashland.  That is what Eric the Black called it in his PCT Atlas and I have to agree.  It did seemed like many were wannabe/fromer hippies.  But it was also one of my hardest hitches (the only other worse one was due to little traffic).  It took more then 40minute on a pretty busy street/onramp.  A few of us were pretty mad after seeing a VW buse drive past us being driven by a guy with a beard and a tie-dye t-shirt.  "What kind of @#$#%$ hippy driving a VW bus passes up some backpackers hitchhiking!?  Black was right, they really are fake ones!" was screamed by one hiker.  Now, after reading this thread I understand.  The driver was probably from California at one point in his life. :P

-Sean "Miner" Nordeen