[pct-l] temps

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 06:09:36 CST 2009

If you're going NOBO at least, I suggest a 20 degree bag until you finish
the Sierras, then consider switching to a 32 degree bag.  Maybe swap back to
a 20 degree bag in northern WA state (perhaps Snoqualmie Pass).   I didn't
do that swap back, finished with my 32 degree bag and did fine with a
mid-late Sept finish but YMMV on that, even in my year I know some people
ended up sleeping a few nights cold in northern WA.

And of course YMMV in terms of your metabolism (how warm or cold you sleep),
what other clothes you carry and are willing to wear inside the sleeping
bag, what sort of shelter you use (a double wall tent is warmer inside than
out), how accurate the temp rating is for the particular brand of sleeping
bag you use, the particular weather patterns in the year that you hike ....
etc.

In terms of swapping bags, remember that you'll likely be mailing things
back and forth when you finish the Sierras anyway --- sending home a bear
cannister if not other stuff, so a swap at that point isn't a big deal, and
can save a fair bit of weight and bulk in your pack.

I note that the PCT FAQ has a nice piece by Ned Tibbets on "how down bags
work" but no discussion of "what type and what temp rating bag should I
bring" --- I think it would be great if someone would collect the advice
from this thread and send it in (may I again suggest the original poster?).
To be clear, send to pctfaq at postholer.com for inclusion in
http://postholer.com/faq.php#Sleeping%20bags,%20pads%20and%20quilts

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle