[pct-l] maps

Stephen Adams reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 3 19:25:12 CST 2009

Yeah, kinda gotta wonder sometimes in the information age where they are getting some of theirs.  However, the bottom line is probably sales.  It is a published and licensed product maps are, and in this day and age with so many things quality doesn't seem to find its way into the market place as much as we would like.  The only thing I use Harrison maps for is trip planning or showing someone else ideas, but I don't hike with them.  They serve their purpose quite well and can there is usually a couple in the map room (bathroom), where they belong.  But if it's all you can get your hands on it is still nice to have a along to identify things in the landscape.  If I know I am going out to climb a peak with a good view I have even brought big park maps like the Seq/Kings National Geographic series, which if I am not mistaken is very similar if not printed by Harrison. Nope, Trails Illustrated, a division of Nat Geo.  And they don't bother with silly trail mileages.  It is quite common to climb a peak like Black Giant, Mt Brewer, and especially a plum like Mt Sill and be able to see reasonably clearly from The Mammoth and higher southern Yosemite peaks all the way down to
Whitney and the like.  Even a 15min map is found wanting on such an occasion.  And I've done plenty of hikes with just the Seq/Kings map because I just wanted to carry one.