[pct-l] maps

Stephen Adams reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 3 00:22:06 CST 2009

just be careful as some of the maps that have printed mileages on them are often simply just wrong as if they guessed.  I have one in particular of the Kings Canyon High country that is just laughable.  And I think it is a Harrison map.  I much prefer the 15 min series of old.  All maps seem to have some shortcomings, and usually a mistake or twelve.  I have another map of Kings/Sequoia that has Lamark Col in the wrong place which would lead one over into the wrong eastern drainage.  One of those people that was showing things to do on my map one day in the Sierra pointed that out to me and sure as heck it is wrong as I've been over the Col umpteen times since then.  Most of the larger maps covering big areas do a decent job showing the trail routes, but the scale is sop small that the dashed lines should be looked at as a general overview, but not taken literally.  Some may or may not show a trial crisscrossing a creek when in fact the opposite may be true.  Not so much with the JMT and PCT but very much so with the feeder trails.  Depends on what series map you have, the scale, who and when it was made etc...  I am not knocking the manufacturers or users in any way, just suggesting to use all maps as a reference but not stated fact.