[pct-l] Maps

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Dec 2 13:46:37 CST 2009

On Dec 2, 2009, at 9:56 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> Indeed.  People will say you don't need maps..then they'll ask to
> look at the maps. :)

If somebody is standing there with a map, of course you're gonna ask
to look at it. It's the only sociable thing to do.

It's nice to have a map when you go through parts of the trail where
you can anticipate that you might want to bail out, or that the trail
might be in bad condition or if you are planning to take an alternate
route, or if you are hiking somewhere not on the PCT and plan to
follow multiple trails. But the PCT is really well marked, at least
it seemed that way to me, so mostly I was able to hike for hours and
hours without doing much more than checking the data book, and
usually that was out of an obsessive need to know how many miles I
had gone, not to orient myself.

Where I used maps:
JMT
The section past Tuolumne Meadows to Sonora Pass. There was lots of
snow and I wanted to take an alternate route. I still got lost, however.
The section between Quincy and Chester because I read a newspaper
article where Huff-N-Puff had said the trail was in bad shape with
lots of blowdowns and a map would be really useful (trail did have
lots of blowdowns, but wasn't too hard to follow now that the snow
had melted.) I also used a map through there because I didn't have
the guide book.
Glacier Peak Wilderness. Brought a map of the suggested detour just
in case I decided to take it. I didn't take it and didn't use any
maps otherwise.

A map is really just one way of looking at things. At some time in
the past, humans did not have maps and they were still able to get
where they wanted to go.