[pct-l] Hiking without the guide book

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 1 19:59:05 CST 2009

As others have said, it is nice, I believe, to be able to read about the area you will hike through the next day while in camp.  I find it restful and interesting.  The following day I have some idea of landmarks to look out for, I notice the change in the types of trees as I gain or loose altitude, I appreciate the different types of rocks, igneous, sedimentary or volcanic. And a description of an area can help me stay on course.

A map is always a good thing to have and I would dear say, a must have.  A map is an areal photograph of where you are walking.  I prefer a topographic because if I do loose the trail, I have, or can quickly obtain, a real good idea of just were I am and where I need to go.  This does require that you can use a map, locate landmarks and triangulate.

Although it is rear that you will loose the trail, it can happen.  Once I walked right off the trail into a campground and thinking that the trail was on the other side, kept walking.  I was wrong.  I had missed a switchback.  What turned out to be a lot of extra effort, could have bee avoided with a map showing me that I was on a switchback.  The guidebook may also have told me this, but I thought the trail would always be obvious.  Not necessarily so.

Once in the Sierras I came upon a throu who had lost the trail where a large tree had fallen across it.  This is not always a problem but as it just so happened, this was on a large sandy section and after walking around the tree he was unsure if he should continue straight or arch around a meadow.  In fact, he was not even sure if he was still on the trail at all an hiked back a few miles to where he was sure and then came forward again to where he again lost the trail.  He did this several times until I met him coming in the opposite direction.  A map would have shown him where to go.

Between Mt. Whitney and Forrester Pass there is a fork in the path where a PCT sign is placed between the two forks.  What does that mean, go both ways?  The guide book tells you to keep left.

In the Techachapis there is a lot of motorized dirt bike use and the trail is all torn up.  Again, hiking without map or guidebook, I did not know which of multiple trails was the right one.  A map would have saved me from a cross-country adventure I eventually had.  My compass guided me back to the trail.

Going southbound, many of the books are a bit confusing and require extra attention but they can still help.  But a good map, and I emphasize a GOOD MAP, is always your best friend.  And don't forget his trusty sidekick the Compass.

Shepherd