[pct-l] Hiking without the guide book??

Postholer public at postholer.com
Tue Dec 1 15:29:47 CST 2009

Erik the Black write:
> For about 80% of the route the trail is well traveled and well
> marked and no problem at all. But the other 20% is faded, crosses and
> follows a lot of unmarked dirt roads, is obscured by dirt bike tracks,
> soft
> sand, rock slides, snow, fire breaks, etc.

This implies over 500 miles of trail is difficult to navigate? 1/5 of the
trail? 20%??? I can't even begin to fathom the logic of that, unless of
course you intent is selling maps.

Clearly confusing segments exist, but 500 MILES? If I was a trail maintainer
I'd be seriously insulted by that statement. The main reason folks get
off-track is because they are not paying attention, even when the trail is
CLEARLY marked. No map will ever prevent this certain and occasional mishap.

YMMV - by about 20%....

-postholer
Trail Journals, Google Trail Maps, Forums: http://postholer.com
Pacific Crest Trail Photo Atlas: http://postholer.com/photoAtlas.php