[pct-l] Hiking without the guide book??

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Tue Dec 1 09:19:51 CST 2009

Good morning, Brett,

I’m not a big fan of Guidebooks – of any kind -- but thousands of hikers
have successfully used them on the PCT.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=265247  I always prefer USGS 7.5’
– or 15’ maximum – topographic maps for navigation where trail location is
uncertain due to snowpack cover.  Purchasing sufficient USGS map prints
would be quite expensive, and those prints will be out-of-date relative to
actual PCT location.  Far superior, in my opinion, are the HalfMile maps
available free-of-charge for most of the PCT at:
http://www.pctmap.net/index.html  which are Natl. Geo. TOPO! embodiments of
the USGS GIS data.

Some people don’t adapt well to topographic maps, so it is necessary to know
one’s self.  Usefully viewing contour maps is a spatial predisposition, and
we are not all equally predisposed.  For some, the contour lines just seem
to jump off the map and immediately display vertical relief, but for others
-- in spite of training and experience -- it is a real chore to try to use
contour lines; instead having to read and relate to specific elevations
rather than reacting to the image of those elevations suggested by the
contour lines.

The maps in the Guidebooks are marginal at best for navigation over
snowpack, while the verbiage is even less useful: particularly for a SoBo
hiker because the Guidebooks are written from a NoBo viewpoint.  Have you
ever tried to read a series of situationally-relative instructions
backwards?  I did so once while SoBo in Oregon and found it difficult even
though I knew where I was going.

If I were to navigate over significant stretches of snowpack with
topographic maps I would probably carry a slightly more sophisticated – and
convenient -- compass rather than the small, bare-bones model I usually
carry.  Also very useful is an altimeter to provide a “Z” coordinate for
reference to the contour lines while the map provides the “X” and “Y”
coordinates.  I use both electronic and analog altimeters, and I prefer the
reliability of analog models.

I also carry and use – but do not rely upon -- a small GPS receiver loaded
with selected PCT waypoints provided by HalfMile.

All this will be important to a SoBo hiker because with a normal start time
one is likely to encounter significant snowpack almost immediately, while a
Nobo hiker gets to practice on the Lagunas, the Jan Jacintos, the San
Bernardinos,
and the San Gabriels prior to facing the Sierras.  Unfortunately, the
HalfMile maps are not complete for the Washington PCT there they will be
most useful, so some alternative maps must be found.
Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09