[pct-l] A Trail Moment in Time (urban SoCal version)

Postholer public at postholer.com
Mon Aug 31 21:09:44 CDT 2009

As the morning ozone laden marine layer yields to the acrid afternoon haze,
resulting in a first stage smog alert, one can't help but notice the onset
of triple digit temperatures enhanced by single digit humidities.

Surely the beautiful mountain forests falling as ash, heralded by billowing
smoke over majestic hills, hints at seasonal change. How can one ignore the
tourist enhanced traffic jam? Even the moths fluttering about the sodium
street lights sense the oncoming season.

As I lean back onto the chill of the night time grass covered in a luxorious
malathion dew and gaze with great effort through the haze and artificial
light pollution I can't help but notice the noble celestial bodies 1 moon, 2
planets and 67 aircraft in the glorious heavens above. A tear wells up as my
emotional heart strings overload.

Watching all manner of creatures scurrying thoughtlessly into the road to
avoid the encroaching fire and flames only to be mashed permanently into the
asphalt by a never ending river of traffic causes me to wane fondly of my
time on the most majestic of trails....

Ok, well, you get the point.

People numbly live their whole lives like this. The *real* world is merely a
2 week vacation; always just a memory.

-postholer