[pct-l] Station Fire -- PCT Closure

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Sun Aug 30 13:25:50 CDT 2009

Yes, you are correct.  Everything is closed Angeles Forest Hwy, Angeles
Crest Hwy, Aliso Canyon Road, Soledad Canyon Road from the Soledad exit off
the 14 in Santa Clarita to where it ends at the 14 in Acton are all closed.
Acton is bracing for the fire's approach.

Todd from North Fork Ranger Station was evacuated last night, and is here at
Hiker Heaven, along with his dog "Wolf."  He's just received word that the
fire burned through the station last night, and burned the under layer, but
so far all of the structures -- the ranger station and two houses -- are
unharmed.  The hazard hasn't over entirely yet, but the outcome is much more
optimistic than it was last night. They won't let Todd back into the station
until Wednesday.

It appears that a large stretch of the PCT, through stands of old growth
forest, will be destroyed in this fire.

L-Rod