[pct-l] Mt. Jeff. Wilderness -- current information?

Judson Brown judsonwb at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 13:38:57 CDT 2009

Russell Cr. isn't that bad. Try not to hit it in the afternoon. There are
certainly worse crosses on the PCT. It probably is the toughest crossing in
OR, though. South to Santiam Pass, the primary thing you'll notice is a lot
of burned territory. It starts southbound at North Cinder Peak and continues
off and on- more on than off- until Santiam Pass. Expect blowdowns unless
they've cleared them out since early Aug. when I was there.

Also, water is not nearly as abundant as you would think. Stock up at Shale
Lake. There is no ON trail water from there until Rockpile Lake, and from
there, really nothing all the way to Santiam Pass. There are some sources
close to the trail: a pond 200yds E of the trail just north of N. Cinder
Peak; a few scuzzy ponds just past Minto Pass; and a few even scuzzier ponds
just before Santiam Pass. Unless you're willing to go farther off trail at
Minto Pass to some larger lakes, or cross-country to Martin lake just south
of Three Fingered Jack, that's about it.