[pct-l] trail maintenance

Brick Robbins brick at fastpack.com
Wed Aug 26 17:00:01 CDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Susan Beeler<beelerfamily at yahoo.com> wrote:
> In regards to some of these trail maintenance ideas, the question is what would you like to experience, a well manicured foot freeway, or a relatively primitive trail. The latter sounds much more adventerous to me.

The problem is how often the maintenance gets done, brush clearing,
tread work, etc needs to last several years before that section may
get visited again by a trail crew.

When they clear the trail, they really need to clear a lot, so that
the thrus coming by in a few years can still get through. When they
repair tread, they need to make it robust so whatever knocked it out
this time, doesn't knock it out again next winter.

There is NO way the remote sections of the trail will ever be " a well
manicured foot freeway." Of course some well traveled sections near
roads fit that description.... but there aren't that many..