[pct-l] Trail Maintenance Idea

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Wed Aug 26 08:56:38 CDT 2009

I've always done some trail maintenance on the fly,  so to speak; I don't
say this to praise myself, just to get others thinking: 1.  Some rocks and
branches can be kicked off the trail without hardly breaking  stride.  I
personally slow or stop many times a day to remove larger items  from the trail,
up to small trees even; there were hundreds of trees &   thousands of pieces
of tree debris in many of the sections I hiked this summer,  and I probably
moved 10 small trees simply my rotating the upper part of the  downed tree
off the trail. I probably picked up over a hundred branches  or  chunks of
trees enough to toss or push them off. I rolled and pushed one tree  piece a
foot in diameter off, and I pushed or rolled many, many rocks up to a  foot
in diameter off.  2. Some overgrowth can be broken down or off  without
hardly breaking stride; even if it won't easily break off, breaking  it down by
reaching way off the trail gets it out of the way and makes it easier  to
break off after some drying time has passed.  3. Pick up other people's
trash, and pack it out if at all possible; it won't hurt you. The only things I
don't pack out are items too big or heavy, and broken glass.
    If every hiker did the above, there would be less  minor work for the
maintenance people to do, and they'd have more time to work  on major stuff.
It's obvious that most hikers don't do the little things, as  I've never
seen another hiker do any of the above, on any trail. They walk  around or step
over stuff they could easily kick  or move off; and it's  always puzzled me
as to why they don't; so, I guess it's the drive to get in the  miles. I'm
not suggesting one do maintenance all day, and get no miles in;  I probably
spend 10 minutes a day, and get a hundred somethings off   the trail. Let's
see, 10 hikers, times a hundred, equals 1,000 pieces of  debris off the
trail...

Bob  "Trekker"
Big Bend Desert Denizen, and...
Naturalized Citizen - Republic  of Texas

In a message dated 8/25/2009 11:08:34 A.M. Central Daylight Time,