[pct-l] Pete Lake fire/Lemah Creek bridge/Glacial Ford below Mt. Daniel

dicentra dicentragirl at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 22 14:14:39 CDT 2009

I just came through there (going north from Snoqualmie) this week and the detour is not necessary. (unless conditions have changed in the last couple of days) There is a small fire just north of the Pete Lake junction, but it is smoldering and not going anywhere.

The alternate route IS well posted, but I think it adds a bunch of elevation gain/loss to your trip.

The Lemah Creek Bridge is out, but the water is only about ankle deep and there are boards across.

The glacial ford below Mt. Daniel, before Deception Pass, is not treacherous. We crossed at four in the afternoon and the water was just below my knees (I'm 5'2"). Don't follow the cairns or the logs, but go up stream to one of the pools to cross. I waded across in bare feet and I'm the biggest creek crossing weanie there is. My hiking partner helped an older lady cross in the same spot as well. There is a re-route for this as well (and the forest service signs make it sound uber dangerous) but it adds 4.5 miles to your trip.

I'll have my photos organized and a trip report up soon...

~Dicentra

http://www.onepanwonders.com ~ Backcountry Cooking at its Finest
http://www.freewebs.com/dicentra