[pct-l] Hat Creek Rim-Old Station Fires

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 15:46:37 CDT 2009

Thank you, Piper's Mom and Jollylopper.....
As of this morning, 8/18, the trail remains closed between the Hat Ck.
Resort (Old Station) and Baum Lake/Fish Hatchery.  There may still be a
'Closed Trail' sign at Twin Bridges, tho I understand that it will be
removed sometime today.  There IS a fire w/in Lassen Natl. Pk itself, and
there are trail closure notices at both Warner Valley CG. and Drakesbad.
You must take the alternate trail from Twin Lakes north to Badger
Flats...(it's prettier anyway, this is the other trail's second burn since
2005).  FireFly and FireWalker from The Hideaway at Old Station will ferry
hikers from there to Burney Falls.  That's further north, but the fish
hatchery is several miles off both Hwy's 89 and 299.  Hikers will find
easier hitches to/from Burney St. Pk.  (If this park should remain on
Arnie's 'hit-list' scheduled to close in September, the trail there will
remain open and available to hikers.  The store, latrines, showers and the
'hike and bike' campsite will all be closed.)
Reach FireFly/FireWalker from Drakesbad by phone til at least Oct. ,
possible Oct. 15, depending on weather.  Billie and Ed have our number, so
does Piper's Mom, Yogi's Handbook and Eric the Black's Atlas.  Hike
safely.........
FireFly