[pct-l] Colby Pass Trail

Mann bmann1 at san.rr.com
Tue Aug 18 11:20:43 CDT 2009

David,

In 1977 my family did a loop from Road's End over Avalanche Pass to Colby
Pass, down the Kern-Kaweah Valley, then up the headwaters of the Kern and
over cross-country Harrison Pass and back down to Road's End.  My husband
Scout and I hiked this again in 2004, with some added cross-country and
trail miles through Sequoia, to make it a longer hike.

This is a great route through gorgeous country!  We definitely plan to go
back someday. In 2004 we found that the trail east from Colby Pass was not
in great shape, but definitely follow-able. There had been a trail crew
working on the trail up to Colby Lake from the west side, so maybe they've
improved the trail on the east side as well by now.

I haven't hiked the 3.5 miles from the Kern River over to the John Muir
Trail north of Crabtree Meadow, but it looks straightforward.

Have a great time!

-Frodo