[pct-l] 80-year-old hiker found dead on trail in SW Washington

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Fri Aug 14 18:05:52 CDT 2009

On a section hike in 1998 a friend and I got to the top of the ridge on
the other side of Lake Valhalla and there were two women doing cpr on a
guy lying in the middle of the trail.  They'd been at it for two hours.
To us he was obviously beyond recovery.

 As we stood around, talking with the other elderly hikers, a helicopter
landed a hundred  yards away and a couple of guys ran up.  When they saw
the fellow was dead they got a bit disgusted.  That's when we left.  The
group of Seattle day hikers were all part of an elders hiking group and
they said they thought this is the way the guy would have wanted to go.

Jeffrey Olson
martin, SD