[pct-l] Sawyers Bar resupply - Section P CA

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Sun Aug 9 20:25:12 CDT 2009

Etna is an easy 10 mile hitchhike east from the PCT at Etna Summit;  Sawyers
Bar is a hard 20 mile hitchhike west from the PCT. Sawyers Bar was a mail
drop in the 1970s when the PCT was routed along the North Fork of the Salmon
River, and SB was only 5 miles away. Unless you have a special reason for
Sawyers Bar, please consider using Etna for your mail drop. Etna is hiker
friendly; they even have the Etna Ale brewery there, a hiker hostel, a large
grocery, and some nice restaurants. Sawyers Bar has only a tiny store, and
an even smaller post office. Here's a photo of it.
http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/image/58695236
When I look up the PO for Sawyers Bar I get an address in Etna which is 20
miles away (I'm looking at page 290 in the guidebook).  Is there a PO in the
town of Sawyers Bar or not?  If not is there someplace in Sawyers Bar that
accepts hiker mail drops?

summermike