[pct-l] Northen CA in October

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Thu Aug 6 11:50:12 CDT 2009

What does that mean in terms of gear, aside from usual cold weather
supplies (clothes, bag, etc.)? Should I carry an ice axe, mountaineering
crampons, something else? I'm also a bit concerned about losing the
trail if there's a significant amount of snow and no other footsteps to
follow in the snow (happened once on the AT).
__________________________________

A friend and I were caught in a blizzard in mid-september in the 80s 25
miles from our car and 18 miles from a roadhead.  We spent four nights
and three days in his warmlight tent - not recommended for 31 degree
temps - condensation was out of control.  When the storm finally petered
out, there was 20" of snow on average on the ground - wet, heavy good
Sierra snow.  It was so hard to just lie there as it snowed, hour after
hour.  All the emotional fear demons and wild speculations played their
way through us and at times I found myself quivering.  I looked at my
best friend  - my 10 year old dog - as potential food.

The best defense against this sort of event is good sense.  Just stay in
the tent til the storm blows over.  Maybe even stay an extra day if it
warms up quickly.  Wait it out - let it start melting...

When you're ready to hike, be sure you and your map and compass are
simpatico.  Experience and good sense are your best friends in the
situation you describe.  Momentary emotions destroy both...

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD