[pct-l] food

Keith Robertson surferkeith at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 22 09:18:39 CDT 2009

Sean,

I'm keeping food pretty simple and have tried to identify the lowest weight foods with the most calories. I've made different packages for each days ration of food which consists of 2 cups of trail mix: 1,400 calories. They differ depending on what they contain but I go to my local health food store where I can buy trail mix in bulk and look for the highest calorie mix. I did avoid chocolate as it will melt and make a messy goo out of the mix. 2 Cliff bars: 500 calories. Store bought dehydrated dinner: 800 calories. I don't like buying the store bought dinners as I think I can be more creative and make my own but it was simple. Also, the only cooking gear I have is a jet boil and the dehydrated dinners only need 1-2 cups of water. A week of food weighs just under 15 pounds and my base pack is 11.5 pounds so I can work with these meager rations for a while. The way I look at it, I can gorge in towns and keep the food simple and light on the trail.

Keith