[pct-l] Books

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Apr 19 22:36:28 CDT 2009

On Apr 19, 2009, at 9:42 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Books

The only book I had to read was the guide book. Some evenings I
barely had enough time to read it. I often fell asleep before the sky
was dark.

My mom sent me a letter and a magazine article to Agua Dulce. I saved
it and spent the first night out of Agua Dulce reading it. I realized
then how much I missed having something to read.

But oddly I never got anything else to read. Instead I had my
pennywhistle and whiled away my boring moments playing tunes. It
really helped when a tune would get stuck in my head. I could just
play the tune away.

Lots of people bring books. They bring just pieces usually, from what
I've heard. I met a woman who brought magazines. I think magazines
would have appealed to me more because when I'm hiking I don't have
the attention span for reading a long piece of literature. However,
modern marketing and news REALLY SUPER STRONGLY got on my nerves, so
I probably would have burned any magazines. I think I would have
really loved having the Lord of the Rings on an iPod, but I always
feel so tethered to all these needy electronics and never wanted to
bother with yet one more device to have to charge.

As for water, I'm struggling with the urge to bring too many
containers. I had capacity for 5 liters and it was too much for me. I
ended up needlessly hauling around pounds and pounds of extra water.
I still have the same capacity this year, but it's portioned
differently. I hope I can overcome my insecurity around water.

It worries me also because today I drank almost 4 liters of water.
That is so unlike me.