[pct-l] Books

t.n. turner barnumbaileypdx at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 19 11:49:28 CDT 2009

Well, I didn't want to carry a book, but was loathe to do without the pleasure of the entertainment of books. So I put them on my MP3 player. I listened to *The Hobbit* and then the *Lord of the Rings* trilogy. I had two players, my partner & logistics manager, transferred the books on as needed. He also loaded one with all the *Wait Wait Don't Tell Me* programs (from NPR) that I had missed up to that point! I laughed my way into Burney State Falls! It was an enjoyable day and then I'm sure anyone who heard me for the next two nights laughing in my tent....well it was nice. I found that having something to listen to at night after writing in my journal and planning my next day's travel, was the ticket for sleep!

As for water, I carried 8 liters of capacity from the border to Kennedy Meadows. I didn't always use every platy bag or water bottle, but I had it if I needed it and I did! Enough times to justify the weight for me. But I'm addicted to being hydrated, I get quite a horrid headache if I haven't had enough water (I drink over a gallon every day in civilization). So, I usually drank as much water as I could!! Just me. But whoever said it was right, carry it, if you don't need it, leave it or mail it home if you are loathe to dump gear!

just my $.02
tammy t.