[pct-l] Let Mags BURN E85 IN ALCOHOL STOVE

Jim Eagleton eagleton at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 17 13:20:37 CDT 2009

I'm having a little trouble mixing humor and my geeky analysis.

a)  Why on the internet do people with the least knowledge want us to know just how smart they are?  (not just Tobin) While I am not impressed by your analysis, I do like your safety values.  Everyone, keep safe.

b)  Ethanol (denatured alcohol) and especially methanol (yellow HEET) are MORE volitile than octane (gasoline).  If this was not true, you could leave the cap off your E85 bottle until the octane escaped and you had an even closer approximation to ethanol.

c)  I would think that E85 would work... until it doesn't work.  My guess is that the problems listed below, will limit the use of E85.  However, E85 always has an advantage on cost, energy/weight, and less likely to be out of stock (not sure about overall availability, it was very poor in 1976).  Wouldn't it be cool if E85 worked for 85+ % of the burn?

d)  While the E85 may start off very similar to ethanol, at the end of the burn, it will approch octane.  Even a minute of soot will make your pots pretty dirty.  You might try using a small excess of E85, and taking the pot off the stove well before the end of the burn.  If you only wasted the last 5 % of fuel, you would loose any weight savings for the E85 blend.  Octane burns yellow because not enough oxygen is mixed in.  As a first approximation, the ideal gas law says that a given volume of gas (at a given temperature and elevation) will have the same moles of gas.  A mole of octane takes 4.2 times more air to burn than a mole of ethanol.  Octane takes 8.3 times more air to burn than a mole of methanol.  So I would try E85 in a stove with small holes (small volume) like a pepsi can stove and not large holes like a cat can stove made from a paper punce.

e)  Not sure how big a problem flare-ups would be at the end of the burn.  It is not just that octane has more heat than alcohol, and the stoves are tuned to the wrong fuel, but also, octane has a lower heat of vaporization so it will be more unstable.  I think the overriding factor is the stove design, so we get to f...  Mags can you find a  stove with holes smaller than this?

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/mags_gear_cc.html

f)  Remember Graves Law:  Always light E85 with your left hand and your good eye closed.  Actually, Dr. Graves said "always check for steam leaks with your non-dominent hand".  She must have thought that someday we would have a left handed president.

g)  It seems to me E85 is not an ideal fuel.  If you have to tune your stove to E85, do you carry 2 stoves?  What about the smell and contamination on you hands when you fill your bottle and the stove.  What about the small quantity of tri-methyl death in commercial gasoline?

Regards,

toc

Jim