[pct-l] Halfmile at the kickoff

Halfmile halfmile at pctmap.net
Thu Apr 16 21:12:58 CDT 2009

Giggles,
Sorry, I do not have a list of USGS quads for the PCT, and I fear

It's not flashy like some of the iPhone apps, but the Basic GPS app, a
small baseplate compass, and maps with UTM grids really are a powerful
set of navigation tools. With these you can easily locate yourself on
a map with better than 50 meter accuracy in any conditions. For best
accuracy your compass will have a ruler with a scale that matches the
UTM grid on your maps in some logical way. For example, if you print
my pdf maps with page scaling set to "none" each 1000 meter square of
the UTM grid will be 20/16 ths of an inch across so you can easily
measure distance across the UTM grid as 1/16th inch represents 50
meters on the map. I will be happy to show anyone how to do this at
the kickoff.

-Halfmile