[pct-l] Hiking in OR & WA

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Apr 13 08:13:19 CDT 2009

Good morning, Dawson,

The best thing I can say about starting north from Seiad on 1 June is that
it won’t be crowded or dusty.  On that date most of the thru-hikers will
approaching the Southern Sierras, 900 trail-miles further south.  This year
the snowpack in the Oregon Cascades is above average, so unless you are
experienced with -- and enjoy the solitude of – route finding over 200 miles
of heavy snow cover it would be better to wait till the first of July.  Go
to: http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin/westsnow.pl  and select the April
’09 report for a perspective.

It would be a good idea to check with the traditional resupply points in the
southern half of Oregon to assure they will be open when you arrive.  Ashland
will be OK, and Crater Lake will probably be open by then, but the road in
will have been carved through 6-8 ft. of snow.  Some of the other lake-lodge
resupply points may be iffy that early.

By the time you get to Washington the snowpack will have cleared
significantly.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

 http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

 http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09