[pct-l] SuperSecrets of Backpacking - Cameras/Watches

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Sun Apr 12 15:13:29 CDT 2009

Skip the Timex WS4.  Depending on what you want in a watch (on the
trail), if you want time and compass and backlight, go with this
hidden gem:

http://www.countycomm.com/nav2.htm

At regular price, it's half the cost of the WS4 and a better watch.
It's also not HUGE.

If you want the triple sensor, altimeter/barometer, compass, temp;
then go with a Casio Protrek:

http://www.casio-intl.com/wat/protrek/

http://www.casio-intl.com/wat/protrek/triple_sensor/prg-80.html  (I
wear one of these when I'm Jeeping and leave the Swiss watches
someplace safer!)

The best part is the dual display of the compass.  Numerically, below
the cross on the upper display.  The compass isn't junk either.  It
include declination adjustment, user re-calibration, etc.

You will get 100-200 meter water resistance (depending on the model)
instead of 50 meters.  (BTW, you don't have to dive 100M to need 100M
water resistance. The impact of diving into a pool will generate that
much pressure!)

You will also get solar charging.  Some models have time adjustment
from nationwide radio clocks.

Not all models have all features.  Read descriptions CAREFULLY before
choosing.  A decent site to buy from:  http://www.jomashop.com/capase.html
   if they have the model you're looking for...

BillB