[pct-l] How to carry more? (and other random thoughts)

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Sun Apr 12 00:14:31 CDT 2009

Sean Carey wrote:
> So I have been thinking about how to carry more weight. Just in case
> I need to at times. Or to simply make some of what I am carrying
> easier. Can anyone recommend or is there a decent front pack out
> there? Kind of like a fanny pack I think they call them or whatever.

It would be hard for me to justify the extra weight of a fanny
pack/front pack.

> Or is that what I need right there?

I would look for a way to attach extra items to the outside of the pack.
Hopefully the only time you will need to do this is leaving Kennedy Meadows.

> I would like to also have some of my items accessible to me and easy
> to get to. Also I guess this is obvious but true.

That is what pockets in your shirt or cargo pants are for. Or you can
get pockets that attach to your hip belt. I think Gossamer Gear carries
something like that. Anything you want that readily available will be
small enough to fit in a pocket, usually.

> Simply carrying a water bottle or two in your hands could reduce pack
> weight. Of course I don't know how practical this would be, but it
> sounds reasonable right now.

You still have to carry the weight, but now you have your hands full.
Better to leave the water bottles in your pack, but have some way to get
to your water easily, otherwise you may not drink enough water.

> All of this made me think of another question I had. I have heard
> that along the way sometimes people leave food caches as well as
> water caches. Or a lot of the times it is just food they get tired of
> or don't want any more. Someone said well it all depends on how picky
> of an eater you are. Well I am not a picky eater fortunately. :>)  So
> I am wondering if these rumors are true? Also is there any way to
> know where they might possibly be if there were to be one in areas I
> am hiking in?

There are hiker boxes at many of the usual resupply places. Usually they
will be in a post office or resort or trail angel's home. People leave
items they don't want and you can take whatever you find that you do
want. Keep in mind that they can be well picked over, and they tend to
be full of things that other hikers decided were not worth carrying. I
started about a week behind the pack, and most of what I found in the
hiker boxes was junk. You cannot depend on them as a food source. You
may find a gem or two to add some variety to your diet, but don't plan
on using them to resupply. If you buy as you go, the hiker boxes may
save you a little money every now and then.