[pct-l] alcohol in aluminum

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Fri Apr 10 19:25:11 CDT 2009

I have a question. Last year I carried my alcohol in a 12 oz.
aluminum that was red and labelled "Fuel". Someone on the trail told
me that it was not safe to carry alcohol in an aluminum bottle. Has
anyone heard of this?

Thanks,? Pete Hanson / Flop
~~
I've heard this also. I carried my alcohol fuel in a 12oz aluminum beverage
container for a few years. It was perfect for wrapping my foil windscreen
around, so I used it, even tho it weighed 2oz. The beverage containers have
a plastic lining, so the alcohol won't eat thru it. However the lid gasket
failed several times, and I've since moved back to #1 plastic bottles. I now
use an 8oz bottle that is sold as a refill for shampoo that has a nice flat
side for rolling my foil windscreen onto.
 http://users.sisqtel.net/losthiker/pikastove/