[pct-l] calif water issues

Travis Naibert tnaibert at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 19:32:58 CDT 2009

Susan, I'd like to point out that California definitely does not have the
longest coastline in the U.S., it is Alaska (duh!) followed surprisingly by
Maine, Michigan, and Florida. The coast of california is just too straight.

Also, water desalinization takes HUGE amounts of energy. The only reason
that countries in the middle east use desalinization is because they have
tons of really cheap oil. California would spend a fortune desalinating to
meet its water needs. Not to mention the environmental impact of burning
that much gasoline.

Sorry if this post is off topic, but as lovers of the outdoors we need to
think before we decide where to live or what water to use.

Travis