[pct-l] Mountain lion sighting

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Apr 6 10:15:36 CDT 2009

On Apr 6, 2009, at 6:42 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Re: Mountain lion sighting

I have to admit that mountain lions do make me a little nervous. Once
while taking a walk on a road near Santa Barbara, I saw one sitting
on a rock with the setting sun and the Pacific ocean behind him. It
was a beautiful scene. Other than that, I have only seen prints. A
few times I've been hiking and felt the hairs on the back of my neck
go up. When that happens I always think there's a lion nearby. I have
yet to see one when that happens, however. I'm really not afraid
otherwise.

A recent animal encounter actually had me a little afraid. I set up
my tarp in a hummingbird's territory. The hummingbird was not
impressed and proceeded to dive-bomb me. As he came closer and closer
I got nervous enough to go hide under my tarp until he stopped. I'm
sure he would not intentionally run into me, as that would probably
hurt him more than me, but what if he erred in his judgment?

Overall, while the wilderness deserves respect, I think the outright
fear most people express is completely out of proportion. Do you
carry a gun or knife to ward off all the cellphone wielding make-up
artists and stock brokers on the road? You're more likely to be done
in by one of them than anything on the PCT.