[pct-l] alcohol (stove) bottle size for a thru-hike.

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Apr 3 11:21:15 CDT 2009

Good morning, Julian,

If I cook I generally use about 1 fluid-oz. of alcohol per meal.  I would
just extrapolate that times the number of meals per day, and days per
resupply, to determine the required container(s) size.  I generally use
plastic beverage bottles for both water and alcohol and I want there to be a
distinct difference by feel so if I awake thirsty at night I won’t glug down
the alcohol.  For that I have a choice of two different alcohol bottles:  One
used to hold bottled water, and it is a distinct square cross-section.  The
other bottle has a peculiar shape with knobby bumps all over it – I think it
once held “Squirt” pop.  Even groggy I will never confuse either of those
with my standard water bottles.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

 http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

 http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09