[pct-l] mountain lions

Keith Robertson surferkeith at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 3 09:26:51 CDT 2009

I hike regularly in SoCal and yes, there are plenty of mountain lions in the mountains and even some parts of the deserts here. There have been a few attacks over the years but they usually involve a small child that can be seen as easy prey for a mountain lion. If I'm hiking alone, I stop occasionally and listen to what may be around me. Being aware is the best defense and if you are confronted, make yourself as big as possible. Hiking poles will help make you appear super human and a full pack will reinforce that image. Generally, mountain lions are reclusive and most likely more afraid of you than vice-versa.

Keith