[pct-l] night hiking in the desert

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 2 23:53:24 CDT 2009

Walking at night is a whole other experience.  I've moonlight hiked in the
Sierra a few times and I can't describe it.  The senses become, well, more
sensitized.  The main thing is pacing down and being carefull about foot
falls.  I've crashed a couple times.  So I can say it is high advise to be
cautious.  But I've crossed a couple creeks and once decended Keasarge Pass
prior to moonrise in the dark dark.  Wierd how the eyes see better from the
side or below where one actually looks rather than trying to see the trail
by looking at it.  This is my opinion, as I don't use a flashlight, but I
can't see much enjoyment in following a light beam.  To me it's like driving
down a scenic highway at night and only seeing the road, the beam of the
headlights, and the feeling of being in a tunnel.
As far as snakes, I've crossed paths with a enough rattlers in my days that
I wouldn't be too big on thinking I might chance it in the warm desert
nights.  Walk late into the evening and start before sunrise certainly.