[pct-l] Emergency Spot GPS vs. PLB devices

Katalina Jimenez katalinajime at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 1 15:05:26 CDT 2009

Thank you to everybody who wrote about the Spot device. I've thought about whether to take it. When my dad asked me to take a GPS device, he said, "so I can know where you are." And I automatically replied, "But I don't want people to know where I am- that's half the fun!" But, of course, these are my parents, and as they get older I feel more protective of their feelings and I don't want to cause them undue stress. (I think I aged my poor mother 5 years when I hitchiked southern/eastern Africa in 2000). If this will give them a sense of security, then I'll pack those extra 7 oz. with me.

I'm having a Spot sent to me (thank you Rabbit!!). So I'll be doing a gear review along the trail to let others know how it goes.

Thanks everybody! I'll see you on the trail!!

Katalina

www.postholer.com/sologirl