[pct-l] Lightweight Shelter and Pack

herbstroh at charter.net herbstroh at charter.net
Tue Sep 30 23:30:40 CDT 2008

I have had good success with a bivy bag. I bought an Outdoor Research
model, but there are many on the market. The new OR bivys were re-designed
and are heavier than the older verison I have. Mine is 2 pounds with poles.
The poles create a mini tent over your head to keep the bag off of your
face at night. It has bug netting so you can have the bivy open and keep
the bugs out. If weather and bugs are unlikely, I leave out the poles and
save about 8 ounces.

Bivys are not for everyone. As one hiking partner put it, "If I wanted to
be in a body bag I could have stayed in the city." But I like the ease of
use--lay out the bag, feed the poles and toss your pad and bag in. I can
start the night with the bag open and enjoy the night sky. If the weather
changes the top can be closed and made water tight.

Regarding packs I really like ULA's catalist:
http://www.ula-equipment.com/catalyst.htm It has 4600 cubic inches of space
and weights 43 ounces (however a large pack with hand loops, belt pockets
etc. comes in closer to 50. But its well designed and very comfortable.

Herb