[pct-l] Water Importance

Hiker97 hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Sep 28 09:22:57 CDT 2008

Diane wrote: I found a Golite umbrella in the trash at Kennedy Meadows. It turned out to be a huge benefit for me when I was able to use it. I wished I had it earlier. It turned out that I needed it only a few times after Kennedy Meadows, but it was worth the weight. It really did reduce the mid-day heat and need for water.
Switchback replies: Several years ago I was at KM in June and checked out the Hiker Box.  As you said there were a lot of umbrellas in there.  But there were a lot of my umbrella holders in there too.  So, I knew a lot of people were using Switchback's World Famous Handsfree Umbrella Holder.  It gave me a weird feeling -- to know so many hikers were using my idea.  The holder is the one that is a gray foam tube and weighs about one ounce.  It makes the umbrella shaft bigger, so it attaches to your pack shoulder strap easier.

I still think an umbrella is important for all hiking from desert to altitude.  There is no where on the trail that better hydration management is not important.  An umbrella does that.

Cheers, your obedient servant, Switchback the Trail Pirate