[pct-l] Talk Like a Pirate Day and Sacking the Eastern Sierras

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 22 20:53:40 CDT 2008

>Switchback replies: Say this brings up a good point.  There is a major expedition shaping up with Crash, Meadow/Canyon Ed, Switchback, Stinker Sr. and Jr., and Piney the PCT Hybrid Support Vehicle to plunder the Eastern Sierras in October.

>This PCT trailtown sacking expedition will cause much burning smoke and pollution in California, Arizona, and Nevada.  The ash fallout will be in the tons.  Highway 395 will be turned into a one way highway heading north by the authorities.  The refugees will be desperately heading north by the thousands.

>Yes, once again Switchback will be a bad influence on all around him.  Reinforcing his reputation as a trouble and mischief maker.

And to keep you going, both on and off the trail, here's a pirate-y trail filk for y'all:

Yo-ho, yo-ho!  A hiker's life for me!
We've titanium, down and ultralight packs.
Drink up, me hearties, yo-ho!
Our clothing weighs less than the sweat on our backs.
Drink up, me hearties, yo-ho!
Yo-ho, yo-ho!  A hiker's life for me!

We fit 12 days of food into a bear can.
Drink up, me hearties, yo-ho!
The dirt on our faces looks like a tan
Drink up, me hearties, yo-ho!
Yo-ho, yo-ho!  A hiker's life for me!

Moleskin, bug dope and sun screen are our friends.
Drink up, me hearties, yo-ho!
We'll hike through the sun and the rain and the wind.
Drink up, me hearties, yo-ho!
Yo-ho, yo-ho!  A hiker's life for me!

We look forward to what lies beyond the next ridge.
Drink up, me hearties, yo-ho!
If we come to visit, we'll empty your fridge.
Drink up, me hearties, yo-ho!
Yo-ho, yo-ho!  A hiker's life for me!

We hike and we hike and we hike and we hike.
Drink up, me hearties, yo-ho!
We hike and we hike and we hike and we hike.
Drink up, me hearties, yo-ho!
Yo-ho, yo-ho!  A hiker's life for me!

Before the sun rises, we're up and about.
Drink up, me hearties, yo-ho!
If we're on your six, then you'd better watch out.
Drink up, me hearties, yo-ho!
Yo-ho, yo-ho!  A hiker's life for me!

We're on the move until the sun sets.
Drink up, me hearties, yo-ho!
This might very well be as good as it gets.
Drink up, me hearties, yo-ho!
Yo-ho, yo-ho!  A hiker's life for me!

Yes, this is the sort of thing I concoct while at work.

-Nathan Miller
Newberg, OR